Saturday 14 March 2009

Foxtrot Oscar, TA


Frustrated by the inability of Turkish airlines to understand how to spell my surname during a telephone call (and their eventual provision of a misspelled e-ticket) I decided to learn the unclassified NATO phonetic alphabet, more formally knwon as the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet. This I thought might help in multiple calls made to try to correct the ticketing problem. But what's the code for a hyphen? The Turkish Airlines online credit card booking system won't accept a hyphen in my surname. 
* Nowadays it might be easier just to send a letter, use morse code or send smoke signals... (even an e-mail to TA seems to go into a black hole).

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu.

The temptation to use a picture of a TA plane broken into two parts at Schipol airport was high. However, I'll give TA the benefit of the doubt and respect those who lost their lives in the tragedy. Meanwhile, I hope they manage to get us to Istanbul safely for our summer holidays...